Friday 9 March 2012

DD2000, Design Practice.

Design Practice; Investigation into design activities related tot he invention planning and design problem solving. Design Practice focuses on people and process across a range of design disciplines and the concept of multi-disciplinary design. 
- Review TWO current (by current we mean you have visited it in 2012) exhibitions of contemporary work; one of which we will select and visit with you, one you will select for yourself. (600 words total)


Contemporary Artists' Book Fair.


Today as an exhibition selected by my tutor, I visited the 15th International Contemporary Artists' Book Fair. After pointlessly wondering around the Leeds University campus (and after looking at several maps!), I finally came to the Parkinson Building to be welcomed by stalls of illustration, print making, hand-made books, graphic design and inspiration.

Caroline Pratt


Caroline Pratt is based in Leeds and is known for her print making and pattern design. Caroline's stall was filled with repetitive patterns and prints. Her beautiful, yet quirky illustrations were made in a variety of formats, from one off prints, to artist books and notebooks. I was welcomed by her personality, and throughout the day found myself travelling back to her stall. 


 


I'm really inspired by her bold retro graphics and complimenting pastel colours. Various techniques are recognisable in her work, such as traditional printmaking methods (screen-print and lino-print). I find her hand-made techniques such as papaer cutting and collaging quite effective. Her quirky drawing also adds to her illustration. Caroline also uses digital manipulation in order to piece her repetitive patterns together. 




I adored her illustrations (So much that I bought a hand-made notebook with this design ^) 

Caroline Pratt, Sarah Mitchell, Ruth Viqueria and Gareth Wadkin collectively are 'We Have Beaks'.
Contact details can be found on their blogspot..



Ann-Wyn Dean

[This is the hand-made card I bought from Ann ^]


Wandering around the Book Fair today, I also came across Ann-Wyn Dean, whose stall came under the name of Page Paper Stitch. All of the designs and products within her stall were inspired by fragments. She focuses on the techniques within antique embroidery. The card I bought in particular was inspired by embroidery fragments and hand-made by duplicating and screen-printing antique vintage aspects of clothes. 


Her work is expressed through hand-made techniques, such as painted paper, printed paper, and embellished papers. Ann also adds stitching elements to her work, which I was attracted to. She mainly presents her work either as book formats or as wall pieces, which were all on display today. 



Overall the experience was very beneficial. I've been inspired to loosen my drawings and explore different hand-making techniques. Also contemplating creating my own artist book, or hand-made books, I'll be uploading any successful progress :)

Word Count; 365.

No comments:

Post a Comment